Environmental Management Key Terms Cards
These cards were compiled to help with revision for the CAIE (0680) Environmental Management IGCSE, and follows the Skinner et al 2017 Cambridge IGCSE and O Level Environmental Management Coursebook.
These cards have been created for the 2022 summer exam.
Once we have read through the entire course book, we use them by grouping the cards and putting them on a sheet of A1 in a configuration that makes sense to us – I always think of them like supermarket aisles, but you could equally do a mind map or similar. We then go through each card checking that my off-spring has fully understood each concept and discuss any blanks in knowledge. By having the cards grouped, it helps them to visualise what concepts should always be thought of together when answering exam questions, e.g. water pollution and eutrophication. We then go on to use them when marking past papers, helping them pick out which cards would be relevant for the answer and what they could have put in the answer to maximise marks.
Finally, I leave them to try and memorise exact definitions for terms that come up in the 1 and 2 mark questions.
The cards are in the files below, with instructions on how to make them below that. I have added pictures of how we have grouped our cards at the bottom, should you be looking for inspiration, but the whole point is to group them in a way that works for you.
- Print out. (You may need to change the scale, depending on your computer. On mine the scale needs to be about 77% to fill an A4 sheet when printed.)
- Cut through the middle along the width (there should be five card names and their definitions/accompanying text on each half).
- Fold each half in half again, along the longest length, so that the card names are all on one side and the accompanying text is on the back.
- Stick the two sides together and cut so that each card is separate from the other four.
- Laminate if you think they are going to get heavy use, or just use as is.